Your lovely rodent is vulnerable and it is your responsibility to take care of him. The gerbil is commonly known as a desert rat who is a member of the Gerbillinae family of Rodentia. You can click here to know more about gerbils. All the gerbil owners may not know, but they are harming their pet by providing them a wrong and toxic bedding experience that could be harmful to their lovely pet. For your gerbil’s habitat, the bedding plays a crucial role. You need to give your rodent perfect and sophisticated bedding to keep him safe and fine.
Essentials of gerbil bedding
Gerbils are profound diggers and they love to dig deep. These gerbils have the inheritance of their Mongolian family who was wild and could dig up to 8 meters where they can live, breed and hibernate. So, the bedding has a special role which could make your rodent feel more safe and secure. The nurturing would also be better if you choose a good bedding style. You should keep enough digging space to your gerbil so that he could feel acquainted with the surroundings and could perform his favorite activity. Keep the consistency of the stuff inside the chamber appropriate so that your rodent could dig enough and the holes do not collapse.
Good bedding style
A good gerbil bedding should be safe for your rodent that it would not harm the body and have a perfect shape, absorbs odor and non-toxic. It should be low weight and dust-free so that your gerbil does not get trapped inside. You can choose to try different bedding methods and experiment with it for ascertaining the right type. Several people use a mixture of tissues, towel rolls, and wooden shaving to create stable and steady tunnels. It provides perfect moisture and is safe for your gerbil. You can make the bedding according to your budget, but you need to experiment to find the right one.
Before knowing what is right? You must focus on what is wrong for your gerbil bedding? It is important to avoid the don’ts to keep your gerbil safe which is as follows-
- Avoid using cedar that could cause respiratory problems.
- The inked paper could be toxic.
- Empty toilet paper and tissues could be adhesive on them.
- Cotton and wool bedding could trap your gerbil and create pernicious blockages.
- Painted wood material or varnish could be toxic.
Gerbil bedding types
Gerbil should have enough space to hide and rest. To provide this, you should-
- Provide a thick layer of bedding to your gerbil.
- A hide box
- Put some edibles for your gerbil.
The hide box should be made up of good material that is non-toxic because you may find it chewed by your gerbil.
Some good bedding material
Several bedding materials would be best for your gerbil’s bedding. These are-
Aspen wood bedding
Aspen wood is the best choice to make the gerbil’s bedding but keep it unpainted and untreated. If your gerbil shows any incompatibility with the aspen wood, you should change it right away. Aspen is not so good with tunnel making so try to give a readymade tunnel to your gerbil. Buy the smallest aspen bedding to first check the compatibility. There are various types of aspen wood shaving which are-
- Living world wood aspen shaving- It is made up of untreated and natural aspen wood, absorbs good moisture, and could expand up to 1200 cubic inches.
- Kaytee Aspen Bedding- It is also a good material to use for bedding.
- Zoo Med Aspen snake bedding- It is mostly offered to snake owners but it is also good for gerbils and it is 99% dust-free and easy to clean.
Commercial gerbil bedding
It is various commercial gerbil bedding brands that could get you good bedding. One of them is carefresh. It could burden your pockets but would provide extremely well service. It absorbs moisture and odors and the shape is also adequate for tunnel building. Mix up several bedding types with refresh to make it last longer and make it economical. Various types are-
- Carefresh total pet bedding- It comes with 10days habitat control and odor absorption capacity and is 99% dust-free. It is available in natural or blue color with varying sizes.
- Absorption corp- It has up to 60% moisture absorption rate and is 9% dust-free. It has 90% content of wood shavings, and the rest is carefresh.
- Healthy pet HPCC natural bedding- It is made from wood pulp. It can absorb 3 times the moisture of its weight and could increase double in size volume.
Corn cob gerbil bedding
Corn cob gerbil bedding has some pros and cons that you need to know. It is an absorbent material, which means it could fight the odor and waste like a pro, but it needs to be altered very frequently else it could get mildew. It is best when mixed up with some other kinds of bedding like shredded tissues or paper rolls because it could not hold the shape solely and does not provide any scope to make tunnels. Various types are-
- Pestell pet products easy clean corn cob bedding- It is completely safe and secure for your pet and provides a natural environment.
- Kaytee kay kob bedding and litter- It does not contain wood debris and is 99% dust-free.
- eCOTRITION natural corn cob bedding- It is long-lasting and light in weight and mixed up with color paper.
Sand gerbil bedding
It is the main material of a gerbil bedding because the compatibility of the sand with your gerbil would decide how deep your pet would dig. It helps in removing the extra oil and debris and keep your pet shiny and clean.
So, these are several gerbil bedding styles that you could use to keep your gerbil with ease and make him feel comfortable around you. You can click here for more details and enhance your knowledge regarding this.